|Name:||Mary Elizabeth Odell Farnsworth|
|Born:||3 February 1836 / Carroll County, Indiana|
|Parents:||John Odell & Sarah Holman Odell|
|Arrived in Ore.:||26 September 1851|
Mary Farnsworth was born on February 3rd, 1836, in Carroll County, Indiana. In 1851, Mary emigrated via the overland route to Oregon with her parents John & Sarah Odell, and 9 other siblings. She was 15 years old when she arrived in Oregon. Two years later, at the age of 17, she married Morgan L. Rockhill. While there is limited information available about Morgan Rockhill, he likely travelled on the same wagon train as the Odells. Morgan Rockhill died less than two months after their wedding, and is also buried in the Odell Pioneer Cemetery.
James died in 1891, and Mary in 1895. Mary and James, as well as their daughter Sarah, are all buried at the Odell Pioneer Cemetery. All three of the Farnsworth graves are missing headstones.
Mary Elizabeth Odell Farnsworth was born in Carroll Co., Ind. on Feb. 3, 1836. She was the daughter of John and Sarah (Holman) Odell and the granddaughter of James and Sarah (Martindale) Odell and George and Elizabeth (Fisher) Holman. In 1851 when Mary was 15 she crossed the plains to Oregon with her parents. She told her daughter, Eva Farnsworth, that she traveled in the wagon but her mother, Sarah Odell, rode a horse named “Old Fly” all the way from Ind. to Or.
Mary’s first husband was M.L. Rockhill who lived for only a year after they were married. She married second James Haven Farnsworth, son of Dr. Freeman and Sarah Farnsworth. The Farnsworths had five children. Three of them born at Webfoot.
- Sarah Blandena, about 1859 – 1863.
- Eri Dempster, b. 5 Mar 1863; married Lettie Gates of Portland; died 1936 in McMinnville. He was a carpenter.
- Levi Albert, b. 21 Feb 1867; married Annie Gates, a sister of Lettie. He had a bulb farm at Canby, Ore.
James and Mary took a homestead at Silver Lake near Castle Rock, WA. There the two youngest children were born.
- Mary Belle, married Joseph Clarkson, a lumberman of Ferndale, WA.
- Eva Elizabeth, b 15 Nov 1873; married Rev. Oliver Smith Haines of Brooks, OR. They were married in Lafayette on Dec. 14, 1892 by Rev. C.C. Poling. Eva died on June 29, 1971 in Okanogan, WA, aged 97.
James H. Farnsworth, who was a carpenter, died in Portland in the fall of 1888. Mary died at Eastertime 1895.
– Biography prepared by Eva A. Calhoun of Seattle, great granddaughter of James and Mary Farnsworth